Monday, November 24, 2008

Grousin'


My buddy Pete and I took the day off work today to chase some grouse around Meadowbrooke WMA just north of Motley, MN. I didn't know if Bandit knew what a grouse smelled like, but he seemed to do fine.

The cover was pretty marginal, but we still ended up flushing two birds within gun range in 2 hours. This is only the 3rd time I've ever been grouse hunting, and the first time I've actually witnessed a real flush, so it was pretty exciting.

I was shooting my 20 gauge pump, which I haven't shot for quite some time. That, combined with the fact that grouse are incredibly quick, resulted in zero birds in the game bag.

I read in a book recently that "real" grouse hunters value a flush almost as much as a shot bird. I guess I'll just call myself a "real" grouse hunter then!

No comments: