Thursday, December 11, 2008

How Did You Train Him To Hunt?

That's a question I get a lot. The answer is pretty simple: I didn't. I don't think anyone can train a dog to hunt. Sure, you can train him to quarter, retrieve, and point, but if a dog doesn't have "hunt" built into his DNA, it's not something that can be taught. The desire is either there or it isn't.

Luckily for me, terriers are killing machines. They love nothing more than searching for and chasing small game of any kind.

That being said, Bandit was as hard-headed a puppy as you've ever seen. We went through obedience classes and endured hours upon weeks upon months upon years of training. In the meantime, we became best friends and got to the point where we understand what the other is thinking. It has made training (and life) a lot easier.

Sometimes when we're out pheasant hunting and he's tracking a runner he'll stop and look back at me as if to say, "I'm taking off after this thing, so if you want a chance to shoot it you better get your ass moving!". Then, if I don't stop him, he's off like a rocket. There's nothing more fun than seeing his tail wagging at warp speed in anticipation of a flush, and that's something that cant be taught.

No comments: