Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Next Year


This year all my days in the field were basically last-minute adventures. Unfortunately, many of these days weren't very productive because I didn't set aside enough time to go to places where the birds are thick. I would either drive 1 hour North for grouse or 1 hour South for pheasants, just to get on the fringe of the habitat, where birds are often scarce.

I'm already starting to make plans for next year to ensure that I get good hunting. A 4-day weekend in northern MN for the grouse opener, a 3-day weekend in southern MN for the pheasant opener. 5 days in South Dakota at the beginning of November. 4 days in northern MN for nore grouse at the end of November. Back to southern MN at the end of November. Back to South Dakota in the middle of December. Southern MN will be hit one last time over the holidays.

That's the plan, anyway. I'll be happy if I even get to half of them. With two small children and wife who works every other weekend, free time is at a premium. Luckily, my extended family lives in southern MN so it's easy to combine family visits with bird hunting. Only a few more years till I can start bringing my son on hunting trips. That will open up a lot of options.

No comments: