Saturday, December 20, 2008

Vanishing Act


My sister's boyfriend Kyle made the trek to St. Cloud yesterday to go chase some roosters around. He brought his lab, which was relatively inexperienced and not highly trained, but did a nice job helping us beat down the cattails.

We went back to the same WMA that I kicked 10 hens out of last week, with quite different results. In contrast to last weekend's snowstorm, today was sunny and warm. The birds seemed to be making the most of these conditions and were on the run most of the day. We saw plenty of tracks and the dogs got on several scent trails of 100 yards or more, but nothing would fly.

Bandit had a tough time pushing through the 8+ inches of snow on the ground, but still had a good time regardless. While it would have been nice to see some birds, I'm still thankful that I was able to get out and enjoy what may be one of the last nice days we have this year.

1 comment:

Shawn K. Wayment, DVM said...

I just found your blog! I always wanted a JRT for bird hunting! Great blog!

Shawn